It is so hard to believe that it is almost November. Things are moving along in the Learning Commons. The book genrification is coming along. The books have been separated and tagged. Still working on getting it all in the computer properly. Mrs. Abele, our former art teacher, has created signs for our genres. They are perfect and amazing! She is so creative and has always been a big supporter of the Learning Commons.
Book fair preparation is in full swing. We named our book fair Read Ahoy Where Books Are Your Treasure! Love that! We are making a video arrrghcade. Each team of techsperts are making a video game for our family parrrghty night. The winners will get a prize. Teachers are creating pirate/ship flags and are decorating the doors of their classrooms to our theme. My teachers are very competitive so this should be fun. My techsperts are decorating bulletin boards and doors in the LC. The bulletin boards are in the pirate theme and doors are about particular pirates and their history. We are raising money for ALL FOR BOOKS to give books to the needy kids of Excelsior Springs. Our goal is $550. The fair will run from December 1-9. Our family parrrghty night will be Tuesday, December 6 from 4-6:30 pm. Plan to make a stop by to see us during our book fair so you can see all the creative things we are doing.
We are also working on a video project with Mr. Ganzer's Career Center students. We are entering a contest that could win us enough money to get our iPod touches, 360 camera and our 3D pens. We are excited for this opportunity to have a PBL that includes another building.
Starting today, October 3, each EXCEL class will check to make sure each student has their iPad in class and that it is not broken. If the whole team has no missing or broken iPads, the team gets a point. When the team reaches 30 points, the team will receive a prize! I am looking forward to a great year with few broken or missing iPads.
The book fair will be upon us before we know it. It is in December but so much goes into making it happen that our planning sessions have already begun. We are planning fundraisers, t-shirts, and much more. Our goal for All for Books has been set at $550. Mr. Travis has offered to reveal his first name if they meet the goal, so everyone come make a donations to see that happen.
Here are a few things we have been working on....
All for Books Fundraiser ideas:
1. T-Shirts - sell for $15
2. Book Fines donated
3. Reach Goal, Mr. Travis will reveal his first name
4. Stuffed Snoopys sale for a dollar
5. Anchors Away - flipping gold coin 2 chances for $.50 or 4 for $1...Containers in the shape of an anchor....containers have numbers which will reveal which prize they get. Before school from 6:45 to 7:15 and after school until 3:00. Also run during family night on December 6 (Tuesday night of book fair week)
6. Third book can be checked out from October 3-December 9 for a $1 donation to All for Books
7. Game room $2 donation and goodie bag given when leave (Family night December 6)
8. Collect items for raffle....$2 a chance or 3 for $5
Other items to address:
1. Teacher Preview, Student Wish List, Family Night Brochure....still need to name family night
2. Plan Food for Family Night...Plan Games for Family Night....Plan Treasure Hunt for Family Night....Decide time of Family Night....(4:30-6:30?)
If you have any ideas for fundraisers or for decorations, please see a techspert or stop by the LC to share them with us!